logo

BES & Commercial Energy
Mis-sold energy contract & prices
3. (8 mins ago)
black onyx ring
One of the stones fell out on this 4 stone ring. How can I return it and get a replacement?
4. (28 mins ago)
Zazzle Black
charges credit card without authorization
5. (32 mins ago)
Bankers Healthcare Group
Upfront loan fee scam

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

ABSA BANK Complaints & Reviews - Unlaw transfer from my ABSA account to my credit card without my approval

ABSA BANK Contacts & Informations

ABSA BANK

Posted: 2012-02-28 by    Alicia Frank

Unlaw transfer from my ABSA account to my credit card without my approval

ABSA BANK
South Africa
Due to personal reasons, I am under debt review and have been on this process since last year July 2011. From the 2nd November ABSA has been receiving payment towards my Virgin Money Credit Card, via a payment distribution agent (PDA), known as Hyphen Technology. I am currently with Debt Safe.

Despite the payment being received, ABSA’s legal department decided to hand my account over to their Attorneys, namely, Norton Lambrianos. After much discussion, my Virgin Money Credit card has been accepted under debt review process and Norton Lambrianos has been receiving their payment timeously ever since.

I received a letter of demand with regards to payment and that I needed to respond by the 25th February 2012. The email was not sent as an attachment, but typed up by a lady by the name of Kutlo Marumo [vmsaqueries@norlam.co.za]. I have however scanned the email through as an attachment.

My debt counselor did get in contact with Norton Lambrianos and all proof of payment was again submitted to them.(I scanned the proof of communication, please see attached).

Today the 27th February 2012 at 10:51am I received an sms from ABSA stating that money has been transferred from my savings account to my Credit account. I contacted the number 0861 222 272, Option 1 that was stated on the sms. I get told by your call centre consultant, Theodora Phefadu that an amount of R8000 was transferred from my savings account to my Virgin Money Credit Card. On her system it does not show that I am under debt review, neither does it show that this account is being dealt with by Norton Lambrainos Attorneys. Further to this SMS there is no notification as to how much was transferred etc. Only the consultant is able to tell us this.

I want to know who has given ABSA the authority to do such an act and which staff member has actually gone and done the transfer. I also want proof that this transfer was paid into my credit card. I want copies of all the necessary documents that states such a transfer as well as proof of signature that has authorized this transfer.

My question to you is that how can ABSA go into my personal savings account and debit my account without forewarning me.
When I asked Theodora what gives ABSA the right to do such a thing her reply was that “ABSA does not forewarn their clients because we would then go and draw out the money before hand!”

This is totally unacceptable. Payment towards my Virgin Money Credit Card has been coming through timeously with no delays.

This to me is now called fraud! How can ABSA go into a clients account unannounced! My privacy has been invaded and this is something that I will not just accept. I have given ABSA no authority whatsoever to transfer this money. This also defeats the purpose of having a pin code as well as pass codes, doesn’t it?

Further to this, I am under debt review, which is a legal process, but ABSA has still chosen to invade their clients privacy.

I will not accept this act as ‘its ABSA policy” because I have been making payment towards my card. ABSA has chosen to hand this account over, hence the payment to Norton Lambrianos.

I now sit out of pocket, and have now incurred more costs because all my debit orders will now be un-cleared. Further to this, how do I live for the rest of the month, how did I fill petrol in my car and how do I pay school fees.

I expect an investigation into this matter ASAP and I will not be accepting any excuses. Rightfully this money needs to be reimbursed to me as this was unlawfully transferred from my account. The thought of this act is absolutely ludicrous! So much for a consumers right and privacy!!! I still cannot believe that ABSA literally “hacked” into my personal account and transferred money without notification?

Mrs Naidoo]
Durban
Comments South Africa Banks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

2nd of May, 2012 by   berenice thomas 0 Votes
At about 15:33 I got to absa vangate mall and do you know what the gentleman at the door said sorry I can't help you the bank is closed I then turned around and went away and just so 2min away is standard bank and do you know what they actually opened the door for the 3 clients and by then it was way over 15:30 now that is what I call service . I think Absa vangate mall need to take a leaf out of standard bank's books and look towards their customer service . I am but only one client but one very dissappointed client and I hope this does not fall on deaf ears

Advice From 1998 - Bottled Water