logo

Pro Aqua Vacuum Cleaner
Problems with the hose
4. (13 mins ago)
www.hairlineillusions.com
The rep lied about the shipping and my order wasn’t send at all
5. (13 mins ago)
Autopay.com
Took money out without my ok!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

AARP

Posted: 2012-03-13 by    Ernest.Karhu

membership

AARP
After being annoyed for the past three years to renew my membership after a three year renewal, I renewed reluctantly for another five years. I received no confirmation although I was encouraged to update my online information. After checking my membership status the following day, I noted no change in my membership dues status scheduled to expire in August. It was only March. I checked my online banking which verified a payment to AARP. I called AARP. They have no record of my payment. They apologized for my frustration but offered no resolution or further concern. It is my problem to solve. Why do I need AARP?
Comments United States Non-profit Organizations
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

20th of Jul, 2010 by   Daniel J. Campbell 0 Votes
I sent this letter to AARP in May and have not recieved a response. The wording of the letter is below.

Membership Services,

I am very upset and extremely angry at your ineptness in handling my application request for membership in AARP. I had reservations about renewing my membership, now; I regret having mailed out the application. If there was a way to rescind my membership and AARP return the money to me I would welcome the opportunity.
My wife sent the application that I filled out with a check which included both names as members. Mail was waiting for me when I came home from work Monday from AARP announcing “WELCOME your AARP membership card is inside.” When I looked at the contents inside there were two membership cards but they were not for my wife and I. The cards also indicated having been a member since 1994, which is not true either.
The names on both the cards were for people I knew and loved but both are deceased. One name was my father and the other person was my father’s friend of 30 years. I am angry about that and feel very sad that AARP membership services have made such a blatant error. Since the signature name on the check was my wife Maryanne.
How in the world could AARP membership services have made such an egregious mistake? Obviously, you do not actually look at or read the content of your membership applications, if you did take the time to read the application this mistake would never have happened and this letter would not have to be written.
I thought AARP was going to be an advocate for me and my wife in our later years, boy was I wrong. If AARP can’t do a simple thing like process a membership application correctly how can I trust that AARP will actually be able to decipher more complex important issues and to make good decisions for me and other members that will rely on AARP for guidance. This eye opening disappointment and very disheartening experience has shaken my belief and trust in the AARP organization.
Now AARP needs to make this right ASAP by; sending my wife and me an apology for causing us so much embarrassment. You unnecessarily raised our blood pressure when the anger kicked in as we looked at the total mix-up on membership cards. Then you must replace the cards you sent with ones that have the correct information for both my wife and me. I have enclosed a copy of a voided check so you can get the names right this time.

Unhappy in Philly,

Dan and Maryanne Campbell

Then to add insult to injury we recieve a notice from AARP thanking us for renewing membership along with a new membership card for Julia Jeinnings. This whole episode is appauling.
 29th of May, 2012 by   toby3061 0 Votes
AARP has turned into a money-making machine with no regard for the welfare of older Americans! Now there is an alternative. Check out AMAC, a MUCH better company that actually looks out for us!
 3rd of Nov, 2012 by   Alan 0 Votes
Since AARP takes positions contrary to what really benefits seniors, I chose not to renew my membership. I kept getting letters pleading for my renewal. In June, Mr. Rand who heads the organization membership wrote that this was my FINAL NOTICE and he would not be able to write me again. Of course, the letters under his signature continued, so he was simply lying. The organization has no credibility, and actually its major source of income is payments from the insurance companies it promotes. There are better options out there to watch out for seniors and to get the type of discounts that AARP offers.
 5th of Mar, 2014 by   NottaFool 0 Votes
Every year I get renew notices when I am always paid up 4 years in advance. How many people do they get duplicate paymens from in this way. Unless you keep great records one could easily get mixed up and pay again. Also, their perks to join are photographed and labeled as one thing but when received the item is always a disapponting, too small, unusable or not as pictured

Computer-Repair-Scam