Aarp Delta Dental

Excessive Costs

New York
Phone: 716-668-8077
I spoke to an Delta Dental rep about dental coverage for my 81 yrs. old mother. I was told the best price was thru AARP. I enrolled her in the AARP Delta Dental program and as of January 2009 she has coverage. Imagine my surprise when I was on line, looking for dental coverage for another family member, that regular dental coverage thru Delta Dental is $123.00/yr. with better coverage than what I bought for my mother for $588.00/yr. thru AARP Delta Dental. When I called Delta Dental, they said they had nothing to do woth AARP Delta Dental and that we could cancel her AARP Delta Dental coverage but there would be no refund or pro-rating because there was a clause stating no refunds after 30 days.
After her year is up, we will be seeking coverage elsewhere since apparently AARP and Delta Dental have rep's working for them that are liars, don't know their job, and sell their higher priced services by telling us that's t he best and onlky coverage one can get.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Dental Services
Was the above complaint useful?
More Aarp Delta Dental Complaints & Reviews
Aarp Delta Dental - Coverage refusal

18th of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes
Wait until a claim is made and processed. This company has assigned unrealistic amounts that they will pay for various procedures. And they make it difficut for you to get this information even after you have signed up. You find out after you have submitted your claim.

I had a filling done, for which the the dentist billed $173. AARP Delta Dental approved the full amount but that's not what they used to determine what they would pay. Their contracted amount for the procedure was just $75- the price of a filling maybe in 1960. They paid 50% of $75 less the deductible which came to a grand total of $12. The next filling (with deductilke met) would be $62 from them with $103 my responsibility. Not ot mention the $100 monthly premium. It's as if the customer pays the premiums plus the main cost of the dental work; this insurance covers what would normally be a co-pay.

To get a better idea of how the plan works, I phoned to request the contract amount they will pay for a routine cleaning. The customer service rep did not give it to me, although surely they know. I will have to call back with a diagnostic code number. They advertise that now they allow 3 cleanings a year; not much of a benefit if they will only pay 50% of 1/3 of the bill.
The company is very clear that the amount they approve for each procedure is not the amount the contract will cover and depending on the bill you may have to pay more than the 50% they advertise . But in all their examples of how it works, they show a bill of $90 with $80 the contract amount; or a bill of $100 with $80 the contract amount. What actually happens is that the contract amount is less than half of the bill, closer to 1/3. And it is that number they use when calculating the 50% they will reimburse.

I am surprised that AARP has put their name on this insurance policy. I think seniors would be better off using the money spent on the yearly premium to pay their own dental bills.

Customer Care Service