logo

Fake Passport Websites
Scam or Real?
2. (30 mins ago)
Affordablepets.com
Stay away from these guys
3. (1 hr 1 mins ago)
EMS Speed Post - Mumbai, India
Parcel not delivered
4. (1 hr 13 mins ago)
SLYPLANTS
SCAM
5. (2 hrs 55 mins ago)
Mytriathlon.co.uk
As they had the money they would not respond to countless queries

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

52" RCA HDTV Complaints & Reviews - Repair is a nonsense!

52" RCA HDTV Contacts & Informations

52" RCA HDTV

Posted:    paty

Repair is a nonsense!

I purchased a 52" RCA HDTV in 2004 and just yesterday, when I went to turn it on the screen would not come up. There is no sound or picture, I have tried all the options in the owner's manual, but still nothing. I called the customer service team at RCA, but got now where. I informed the rep what the situation was, after she had gone thru all the procedures with out any success, she referred me to an "authorized" repair service in my area. I asked if RCA was going to cover the house call or the repair. She said that since my warranty was over I had to pay out of pocket. It was as if my TV was designed to shut down as soon as my warranty hit its expiration date!!! Which was 2 months ago. This has never happened before. I have not called the repair people, but come on, the price will be outrageous, we all know that!!! I think that this is nonsense, i believe that a manufacturer should stand by their product and guarantee the product to work past its expiration date. I would like to get some feedback about this situation.
Comments United States Consumer Electronics
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Nov, 2008 by   Jamie dougharty 0 Votes
I 2 HAVE 52" RCA HDTV 3 YEARS OLD I PADE 1550 FOR A PICE OF SHIT . IF THER IS CLASS ACTION SUIT PLEAS LET ME KNOW. IT WILL TACK$800TO 900 TO FIX MY TV BUT RCA DONOT MAKE THE PARTS ENTY MOOR .THAY KNOW THIR WAS PROBLEM65
 5th of Nov, 2008 by   Chris Gleason 0 Votes
I also have a RCA hdtv and it had just started doing this green light on green light off stuff three times and then nothing. There is so a problem with this products and it is sad if RCA dont stand by there product. They should lower there prices way down if they are not going to last at least 2 years when most big srceens last 10 to 12 years.This will be the last RCA product I will ever own.
 9th of Nov, 2008 by   diane drum 0 Votes
OMG! I READ ALL THE REVIEWS ABOUT THE 52 INCH RCA D52WD20. I HAVE TO SAY I'M NOT SHOCKED. RCA SUCKS. I'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER RCA PRODUCT! MINE WAS BOUGHT IN 2005 AND NOT EVEN 2 YEARS LATER IT STOPPED WORKING. I GO TO TURN IT ON AND IT SHUTS OFF. I TRY SEVERAL MORE TIMES AND THE LED LIGHT BLINKS 3 X'S AND SHUTS OFF. NOW, I HAVE A SMALL TV SITTING IN FRONT OF THE RCA TV WHERE I ALSO, HAVE A BEAUTIFUL ENTERTAINMENT CENTER SURROUNDING MY PIECE OF CRAP RCA. I'M EMBARRASSED TO BRING FRIENDS HOME. I LAUGH AT MYSELF. WHY DID I EVER BUY A RCA? WHEN THEY CAN'T BACK THEIR PRODUCT UP. I CALL UP AND GET THE RUN AROUND. TIME FOR A LAW SUIT IS FINE BY ME. SOMEONE LET ME KNOW...
 11th of Nov, 2008 by   mario nero 0 Votes
I AGREE I HAVE THE SIMULAR PROBLEM WITH MY SET ASWELL POWER LIGHT COMES ON BLINKS THREE TIMES SHUTS DOWN ..AFTER ATTEMPTING THIS SEVARAL THOUSAND TIMES IT COMES BACK ON...IVE READ SOMEWHERE WHERE THEY SAY ITS A BAD BULB OR SOMETHING ...I TOO WOULD LIKE TO SEE THIS SUIT GO FORWARD...
 13th of Nov, 2008 by   elaine 0 Votes
We bought our rca 52 inch rear projection in 2004. It lasted four years without any trouble. We had the same problem with the power button flashing three times without turning the picture on the set then the light would go out. RCA support center was useless and gave us a number to call that worked with warranties in which we no longer had. Anyways I went on line to fixya.com and found others with the same problem with their rca. One of the solutions was to take the back off the tv and blow a hair dryer on the lower left area for ten minutes on a hot setting for the hair dryer then turn the tv on. We did this and it worked on the first try. Although we have vowed not to switch the tv off ( only by the satelite not the rca remote or button on the tv). Because we are not sure if the problem was dust or the power control needed to be heated up. BUT RCA SUCKS!
 19th of Nov, 2008 by   Michelle 0 Votes
Elaine, thank you very, very much! I had just called a tv repair man, waiting for him to return my call, when I came across your blow dryer trick! It worked, I had seen how dusty it was, so i was sure that something was blown because of the thick dust inside the tv, but as soon as I got done blow drying all the dust off, I turned the tv on, and it magically turned on. I'm so hoping the dust was the problem. All I know is that it is working now and i have you to thank for it. So again, thank you very much!
 22nd of Nov, 2008 by   Larry Wade 0 Votes
Thanks Elaine! The hair dryer trick worked on ours, too! We didn't even take the back off. We just vacuumed out the dust from the air vents and then used the hair dryer for about 10 minutes on the lower left side (moving it around over the air vents as the plastic was getting pretty hot)... pressed the power switch... and the beast came to life! All I can say is... HALLELUJAH! And it will stay on for the rest of it's 'unnatural' RCA life. And when it finally dies, "HELLO SONY!"
 22nd of Nov, 2008 by   sherri turner 0 Votes
well elaine said the hair blow dryer fixed her issue and a few others said the same thing, but we had already gotten someone to fix our tv and it was the capictor. they had to replace 3 of them and solder the connections for about 200.00 bucks. but dont go to a high name tv place. just your local place. try the hair dryer first. good thinking elaine
 30th of Nov, 2008 by   Art 0 Votes
i have the same problem with my same model the RCA hdtv D52W15 and its really really pathetic...if anyone really know of any suit going on please fwrd me some info...this is injustice...all i know is im spreding the work about RCA...its terrible
Raping
Customers in the
ASS!!!
i hope RCA gets punished for this crap
 1st of Dec, 2008 by   Dan F 0 Votes
We have a 5 yr old D52W15 model that won't turn on. It goes through the same process as most others with the 3 cycles. We're VERY unhappy with this issue and agree that we will NOT buy another RCA in the future!!!
 1st of Dec, 2008 by   MG 0 Votes
I have the same problem... We bought this TV 3-4 years ago. The repair man is on the way to fix the issue. I agree RCA sucks... Will never buy an RCA tv.
 2nd of Dec, 2008 by   Jonathan 0 Votes
I join all of you with the same problem, my rca 52"-hdtv ready tv today got the problem with the red blue and green lines going across the top and the screen is off balance and has the red blue and green convergence problem. The convergence problem been happening for a couple of months now but all I would do is run automatic convergence and it will fix temporarily but it never had the problem with the lines across the top of the screen and off balance like today and I don"t even have the auto convergence option anymore. I'm out of warranty and I would also like to know any info on the class action lawsuit, I don't have any money to get a new one.If anyone has any info that can help please e-mail me.
 3rd of Dec, 2008 by   Michael Montgomery 0 Votes
good news is misery loves company...bad news is we all have the same problem..mine started blinking also..I am in on a class action lawsuit
 3rd of Dec, 2008 by   David 0 Votes
I have this same tv. Bought it in 2005. It lasted 2 and a half years then one morning we got up to turn it on and it just make a sizzling noise and saw sparks in the back of the tv, then it went off. Also there was a burning smell to it too. Will never buy a RCA product again!!!
 14th of Dec, 2008 by   Melissared26 0 Votes
Wow.. This is crazy. I just came home from spending ALL of my money Christmas shopping, went to turn on my TV.. Nothing.. The little green light comes on and blinks three times.. But nothing.. It's done it before, but it only took a couple of times to turn it on, so we had just quit turning off.. Well, one of the kids turned it off.. I am lost. I can't afford to go buy another TV, I was lucky to be able to buy Christmas this year in this economy! I can't afford the repairs either.. Does anyone know the name of the part, so that maybe I can get one at the local repair shop and have my husband install it? ANY help or suggestions would be helpful.. If anyone can tell me more baout the law suit, let me know.. You can email me at melissared26@aol.com
 14th of Dec, 2008 by   laone 0 Votes
Well add me to the list. It blinks 3 times and nothing. The sad thing is is that I bought this one in 2005 and another RCA LCD in 2006. The LCD's sound and front inputs went out 4 months after purchase. It was a year later after the extended warranty kicked in that I finally got help in the repair. Now, this one. I think im done with RCA.
 21st of Dec, 2008 by   Ruth Ann Ulmer 0 Votes
I have same problem, push power button it blicks then nothing, would like to know about any law suits, and about parts I could get to fix our selfs, we had it fixed 1 year ago now the same thing has happen again. I NEED HELP!!!CAN EMAIL ME AT RUTHANNULMER@WINDSTREAM.NET
 21st of Dec, 2008 by   Ruth Ann Ulmer 0 Votes
sORRY MY EMAIL IS, ruthannulmer@windstream.net. all little letters. But I could use some help I called RCA custumer sevice they said knowone else had repoted a problem with the TV's. Anyone please let me know of any laws suits. Thanks
 22nd of Dec, 2008 by   redgs95 0 Votes
The hair drier trick worked for me. Thanks so much .
 1st of Jan, 2009 by   Tammy 0 Votes
Thank you everybody for your posts, especially Elaine. The hair dryer did the trick!!! I didn't have to take the back off but I did vacuum the dust first.
I even turned it off and on again and it came on for the first try!
I was berating myself for buying a used tv but I see that I'm actually lucky that I didn't buy it new and pay what everybody else paid. I've learned my lesson. Next time I'll check online postings prior to buying and I'll not buy RCA again.

Are You A Shopaholic?