logo

Contacts & Informations

Posted: 2011-08-11 by    maleet

WORST paint ever

Martha Stewart
Moving into a new house and wanted to paint every room and give it color and life instead of the drab off white that everything is... Went to Home Depot and browsed many paint swatches. Saw some metallic paints from Martha Stewart called Precious Metals. There were about 19 colors and we picked 3 for our home.

I read the instructions on the back... watched a tutorial video and even visited their message board (which oddly has been shut down now after I started to see other complaints).

Ok, this wouldnt be such a big deal if it was not 40 dollars a gallon- we bought 4 gallons for our house. I wish I had read more online about this product before purchasing but hey- it seemed like a great product.

Application is the worst. I primed a wall... let enough time pass for it to dry and started to roll a small section (about 2.5 feet wide)... I started small- 20X20 inch sections as the can said. the paint is like water- very runny and if you roll over a spot you already rolled it either leaves it twice as dark or makes it thin where you can see primer under it. Its virtually impossible to do a small section and NOT touch the edge of the last because it will darken it by A LOT and leave a nice roller mark. You can see every streak. Obviously a brush would not be better.

I tried to experiment by taking a sponge and rubbing it into the wall so it was a very thin layer which left just the metallic part- it looked splotchy but once i tried it again to add a layer, it all got so dark and you saw every swirl.

I gave up and let a full 24 hrs go by and then primed it with Kilz- the primer would not stick if i rolled over it more than 2 times and i most certainly loaded my roller (as i had done with the precious metals paint).

If precious metals came in a can (rattlecan spray) then possibly it would look good when applied. no way can you apply a metallic paint with a roller quick enough for each section to blend together instead of layer.

This is the worst paint I ever worked with and I cannot return it. I guess I will try to use it with a stencil but even that will take practice.

Their website shows a guy loading up a roller and rolling one section of a board that is the same length as his roller (in other words, no overlapping areas)... its very easy to do an area that is the same or smaller than your roller and just roll it twice and let dry, then add another layer... but doing a wall- impossible.

I would also like to add that the colors were WAY dark compared to the paint swatches. I was using Tin and it came out looking like a prison cell that was very shiny and metallic. No good.

If you want to buy, please get the smallest sized can possible or a sample rather than just buy gallons like we did thinking it was easy to work with.
Comments United States Home & Garden
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Jan, 2012 by   Cartoon lagoon 0 Votes
I 150% agree with you. I put five coats of paint on a 11x20 living room and what a disaster!!! It is so streaky and you can see the roller marks like crazy -- after 5 coats -- it is still HORRIBLE!!! I called the telephone number on the paint can and I am in the process of Martha Stewart refunding my money for the 5 gallons of paint I bought. Please call and get your money back (as long as you have your receipts) THE WORST PAINT I EVER USED!!! Lucky for the Martha Stewart company selling bad paint isn't a crime-there would be lots of Stewart folks in jail.
AGAIN, PLEASE CALL THE NUMBER ON THE PAINT CAN TO HAVE YOUR MONEY REFUNDED!!!
 18th of Feb, 2012 by   srjeff 0 Votes
i agree with the above comments. We found that the swatches did not match the actual paint color, but decided to do our guest bathroom, as it was small with lots of sunlight. Cutting in the cielings and corners is the worst. I am on my 5th try to get it to cover. Also, it has taken an entire gallon to cover a 6 x 7 room, not including the shower stall and cabinet areas. Never buy or recommend this paint. We have tried everything. If it does not cover by the time we finish, we will simply repaint.
 24th of Mar, 2012 by   Jam C 0 Votes
I just finished applying the 2nd coat in my small 1st floor bathroom..and it's not looking too good. I am an inexperienced painter...so I figured it was something I did wrong. I followed the instructions in the booklet, and even purchased the rollers suggested...but it's still pretty streaky. The color is a lot darker than I expected - my bathroom reminds me of a dark nightclub restroom. I'm hoping it looks better when it dries completely...but after reading the comments above...I'm thinking I will not be so lucky. I guess I'll be calling to get a refund.
 25th of Apr, 2012 by   Lowes_Kasumi 0 Votes
Valspar sells a similar product called brilliant metals and it requires a base coat and then the metallic top coat, it seems from what I have been reading that the M/S brand just wants you to roll the thin coat over an exsisting wall color. This may work only if your wall was in similar color to what you wanted to paint it. The brilliant metals by Valspar works wonderfully but you do have to have two seperate applications.
 13th of Jan, 2013 by   KeithInPalmSprings 0 Votes
We've used it twice and love it! But, we had a professional painter do it as we were nervous to do it ourselves. I would never attempt to try and do this myself, its too advanced for a non-professional.
 13th of Jun, 2013 by   notamarthastewartfan 0 Votes
We just did my sister's living room wall with this paint and it's CRAP!!! My husband is an experienced painter and this was a streaky mess. I wish I would have read the reviews before buying 3 different colours and 6 gallons of paint. This paint is only suited to small areas. I am going back to Home Depot today to demand our money back. The only walls it looked fine on were stucco walls. It's an old home and 3 of the walls already had a textured finish. On those walls it looks great. You can't see any streaks but on the smooth walls it's awful. Do not buy this paint unless you want 5X more work to fix it. My 2 cents.
 22nd of Nov, 2013 by   TAO-k9 0 Votes
I just finished up with the second coat of the Precious Metals paint in two separate bathrooms. I had already bought the paint, then read the reviews, so I was trying to keep in mind everything that was written. My first BR had a primer coat of white on it. First coat on that looked not bad. Second BR had a cream base, first coat looked pretty bad. I used the 4" roller that was recommended, didn't have much issue with "fuzzy" stuff being left behind. I did find that as the roller became saturated, it didn't want to roll, and began sliding, therefore not getting the finish that is on the sample. I waited until everything thoroughly dried, including my well washed out 4" roller. I found that having the roller rather thick with paint worked very well. I started at the very top of my room and rolled one coat to the bottom - sometimes having to get more paint on the roller. Putting it on thick, and using a LIGHT hand, is creating an awesome finish, just like the sample piece from Home Depot. It's tempting not to roll back over it because it's so thick and looks a little drippy, however the roller is creating a galvanized metal that effect when the paint is put on somewhat thick. Looks like a second coat may be it, I'll see how it looks in 24hrs.

I think the key technique includes: Using the roller suggested, not allowing paint to saturate deep into the fibers of the roller (otherwise can prevent rolling), using a light hand was crucial I felt, and trying to go from top to bottom in one try.
 20th of Mar, 2014 by   LD60 0 Votes
THIS IS THE WORST PAINT I HAVE EVER USED! I just had a contractor come in to paint my second bedroom which is 13X15. With two people painting, this job should have only taken 1 day with priming and 2 coats of paint if it was good quality paint, but obviously this is not good quality paint. It's not even close to good. It is the absolute worst paint I have ever seen! He just went through four gallons of paint with applying 4 coats of paint plus a primer and I still see streaks. A room should NEVER take 5 coats of paint. The paint smells worse than a primer. I don't get a sense of a newly painted room at all. The fumes are horrible!!! This job is now going to cost me triple the price because my contractor has to come back a third time. Plus I have to have to buy 2 more gallons of NON-Martha Stewart paint which adds to my cost. I am disabled and only get a disability check once a month and have to work with a very tight budget. Is the company going to reimburse me for the extra two days plus the new paint I need to purchase? This is so upsetting to me. I am appalled !!! This paint should be totally banned!!!
 13th of Jul, 2014 by   Andrew100 0 Votes
I agree with what has been said. The color came out nice but if you can live with a wall that has strips in it youd like it. I follow the directions to the letter but still bad results. In fact this is the first can of paint I have ever read the directions on. The result were surprisingly bad for a brand such as Martha Stewart. I guess the old saying holds true, "If it seems to good to be true, it most likely isnt". Maybe this is way Home Depot has discontinued the product and removed it from all its stores. Luckily I had only purchased one quarter to try on one wall. Glad I didn't make the big investment that other did. I will still call for a refund. Another thing I have never had to do with any prior paint I have purchased.

2011 Tax Changes